Penrose is one of the many small village chapels that once dotted the Cornish landscape. It dates from 1861, and is one of only six chapels in Cornwall that still has its original box pews.
We don't have any events planned here at the moment, but we're open to visitors.
The chapel is on the main street of Penrose, 4 miles south of Padstow, between Porthcorthan and St Ervan. On-street parking nearby. Nearest railway station Bodmin Parkway (12 miles).
There are no toilet facilities on site.
Padstow is North Cornwall's premier resort and one of the county's best kept secrets. It has celebrated restaurants, beaches and weekend hideaways. The North Cornwall coast is one of the most beautiful in Britain.
Contact the local keyholder to visit Tel: (01841) 540 -737
Penrose is one of the many small village chapels that once dotted the Cornish landscape. It dates from 1861 and is constructed of local slate.
The interior is virtually unaltered with plain plastered walls and twelve-paned windows on either side of the central door. The rostrum has turned balusters with a panelled enclosure in front rimmed by benches facing inwards. These once formed a meeting area. Penrose is one of only six small chapels in Cornwall retaining its complete set of box pews.
Methodism, with its open, non-hierarchical approach, took firm root in Cornwall from the late 18th century on and was strong among both mining and farming communities of the County. Penrose was designed for preaching and hymn singing in a small community and only seats about 35. Today chapels like this are increasingly rare, not least because many have converted readily to holiday homes. With its intact interior fittings, Penrose is therefore a lucky survivor - and a little gem that evokes the straightforward spirituality that once guided the community.
Download a Quick Guide to Penrose Chapel here.
The chapel has been restored by Historic Chapels Trust with grants from foundations and the Heritage Lottery Fund. Local volunteers help us look after it.
A new 14-page Guide with oral history records of those who worshipped here is available from HCT's London office for £5.00 inc. postage. Cheques payable to "Historic Chapels Trust".
You can also download a Quick Guide here.
HCT's custodianship of the chapel is informed by a Conservation Statement which can be downloaded here.