Farfield Friends Meeting House
Near Addingham, West Yorkshire | Listed Grade II*
History and Architecture
Anthony Myers, of Catgill near Bolton Abbey, provided land for a Quaker burial ground at Farfield in 1666. Three years later he gave an adjoining plot for the meeting house, which was built later that year. It is a simple single cell building with stone walls and mullioned windows. The roof is stone slated and supported by a single king post truss. Its floor is stone flagged. Apart from two loose benches, the only fitting is the oak minister's stand, of an unusual panelled design with turned balusters.
In the burial-ground is a row of five table-tombs commemorating the Myers family. These are rare features in a Quaker burial ground and provide evidence of a commemorative practice that the Quakers subsequently discouraged.
A free 2-page guide can be downloaded here.
Repair and Regeneration
HCT completed a programme of repair in the mid 1990s. HCT leases a piece of land adjacent to the Meeting House where there is a small picnic and parking area for visitors.