A humble community church built immediately before Catholic worship was legalised in anticpation of a change in the law.
We don't have any events planned here at the moment, but we're open to visitors.
The chapel stands diagonally opposite the new Roman Catholic church in Netherton. Netherton is at the northern edge of the Liverpool conurbation, close to the A5207 near Sefton.
There are no toilet facilities on site. The Presbytery is now in private occupation and residents do not hold keys.
St Benet's Catholic Chapel
The chapel is currently closed for self-guided visits. For group visits contact HCT office (020 7481 0533). Exterior visible at any time.
St. Benet's Chapel was opened in 1793 and is a rare survival of a Catholic church built for a poor community.The chapel is a building of small size and limited architectural ambition but is poignant evidence of the troubled history of Roman Catholicism in this part of England. Erected after the Catholic Relief Acts of 1778 and 1791 when Catholics were allowed to worship openly, a low profile was still considered appropriate.
The chapel is mostly hidden behind the attached presbytery. After ups and downs over 180 years it finally became redundant when the new and much larger St Benet's church was built in the 1960s. Sold off, and put to a succession of uses the building was semi-derelict and in use as a builders store when taken into the care of the Historic Chapels Trust. Some of the interior furnishings have been lost and others stored for restoration. Important survivals including the gallery, the early 19th-century altar and a "pilastered and pedimented altarpiece which has winged cherub heads, a gloria of rays and Adamesque urns and garlands of the type that many churches of the Establishment could boast before the zealous efforts of 'ecclesiological' restorers".
One of the best preserved examples of a pre-Emancipation Catholic chapel in the North West.
~ The Buildings of England (Pevsner), Liverpool & Lancashire South West
HCT has raised grants and donations of over £250,000 so far to repair the structure of the chapel and the presbytery. A third phase of repair works to the exterior and parts of the interior was completed in Spring 2012.
When more funds have been raised we will restore the interior using the evidence of old photographs. The chapel will be presented with the layout which predates the Second Vatican Council of 1962 - which here survived until the 1970s.