Wallasey Memorial Unitarian Church
Wallasey, Merseyside | Listed Grade II*
History and Architecture
The church was designed by Edmund Ware and Edmund Rathbone and opened in 1899.
Its interior displays a remarkable example of English Arts and Crafts furnishing in a Nonconformist chapel and contains fittings by many Art Nouveau craftsmen associated with the Bromsgrove Guild.
- Bernard Sleigh painted the panels on the ends of the choirstalls, communion table and pulpit.
- Benjamin Creswick executed the carved figures on the choirstalls.
- The reredos is of Birkenhead 'Della Robbia' ware designed by Harold Rathbone.
Everything survives with minimal alteration and in an excellent state of preservation.
Throughout the decoration Sleigh has had the enchanting idea of letting the grain of the figured oak speak for itself, particularly appropriate for an artist who was primarily a wood engraver. Thus a path, a wall, or a cloud will be the unadorned oak, their shape being defined by the neighbouring painted parts. All this decoration neatly combines the Unitarian belief in the praise of God through His Creation with the Birmingham School's belief in the pre-eminence of Nature. (George Breeze).
A free brief guide to Wallasey, ideal for reference when visiting the church, can be downloaded here.
This church is registered for Unitarian religious marriages - contact us for more details.
Repair and Regeneration
HCT has completed a major repair of the church and hall and upgraded its facilities for modern usage. The hall is used by Wallasey Ballet School. The church is available for lectures, AGMs, exhibitions, etc., and for occasional services of worship.