Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes
Blackpool | Listed Grade II*
History and Architecture
The Shrine was built as a Roman Catholic convent chapel designed by the distinguished Francis Xavier Velarde. It dates from 1955–7.
Velarde was interested in blending historic styles with modern motifs. The result at Blackpool exhibited a highly individual, expressive, modern interpretation.
The chapel is of Portland stone externally with a copper roof and fleche, it is ornamented with four statues, one at each corner, with a relief on the facade above the entrance by the sculptor David John.
The interior is dominated by gold mosaic columns, supporting a ceiling of vivid blue, red and gold against a background of pale grey rendered walls.
The windows form a high screen of pierced stone forming a bold geometric pattern along each wall.
A 2-page guide can be downloaded here.
Repair and Regeneration
A first phase of repairs was completed in April 2008. This consisted of repairs to the leaking copper roof and re-designing a defective rainwater disposal system. The works cost £100,000.
Fundraising has started to raise approximately £500,000 to fund the works required to complete repairs and introduce new facilities to ensure the building can host a wide range of suitable community activities and occasional services of worship.