Biddlestone RC Chapel
Northumberland | Listed Grade II*
History and Architecture
Most remotely sited of HCT's chapels, Biddlestone stands in wild country on the southern slopes of the Cheviot Hills within Northumberland National Park. Biddlestone was once a private chapel adjoining Biddlestone Hall, the demolished home of the Selby family. The Selbys established themselves at Biddlestone where eventually they maintained a Catholic chaplaincy at their own expense. Scars on the west wall of the chapel indicate the site of the Hall where the chapel was attached.
The chapel was built was over the remains of a mediaeval pele tower, that almost certainly dates from the late 14th century. Mediaeval rubblestone survives to eaves height on the north side and there is a thick-walled, barrel-vaulted undercroft below.
About 1820 when the Selbys were rebuilding Biddlestone Hall they repaired the remains of the tower and constructed the chapel over the undercroft. The chapel is furnished in mid-Victorian Gothic Revival manner, with a three-light east window containing stained glass which dates from 1862. In the gallery is stained glass displaying Selby heraldry.
A free 2-page guide can be downloaded here.
A comprehensive guide has been written by Dr John Martin Robertson, priced at £10 from HCT, or £8 at the chapel.
Biddlestone Chapel is registered for Roman Catholic marriages. For more details about holding your marriage ceremony in this remote and stunningly beautiful spot please contact the keyholders.
Repair and Regeneration
A repair and upgrading scheme was completed in April 2008 and the chapel was relaunched on 24 April 2009.