The Dissenters' Chapel, Kensal Green Cemetery
Kensal Green, London | Listed Grade II*
History and Architecture
The Dissenters' Chapel lies within Kensal Green Cemetery, itself a Grade II* item on the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens and a designated conservation area. Kensal Green, London's oldest public cemetery, dates from 1832 and is the resting place of many famous people. It is of pivotal importance in the history of landscape and cemetery design in England. The Anglican Chapel, main entrance, the colonnade and many monuments are also listed.
Along with the Anglican Chapel, the main entrance and colonnade, the Dissenters' Chapel was designed in Greek Revival style by John Griffith of Finsbury in 1834.
A free 2-page guide can be downloaded here.
Repair and Regeneration
In 1997 a major restoration was completed after HCT had taken a long lease from the General Cemetery Company. The main body of the chapel was repaired, the chapel's curved flanking colonnades were reinstated and a historic scheme of painted decoration, dating from the 1860s, was retrieved.
A new visitor centre was constructed behind the north colonnade. A definitive history of Kensal Green Cemetery was published in 2001, which provides details.
The project received an Environment Award from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in 1997 and a Europa Nostra Award in 1998.